Friday, January 9, 2015

Official 2015 China Foreign Teacher Mandatory Requirements & Qualifications

Were you looking for...

Good news friends... The 2015 foreign teacher requirements, as confirmed by SAFEA are still the very same as 2014 despite the hoopla hoax of the China Daily advertorial that was disguised  quite well as "breaking news" back in September of 2014 (For details see:  But, hey, this is China (TIC) and laws can change tomorrow or next week without advance notice, so always check the SAFEA web site or with  us by email at admin[at] if you have any doubts. But as of today, here below are the current and official MANDATORY china foreign teacher requirements:
>>>>> A bachelor degree in any major (Note: They are now being verified)
>>>>> A valid passport and a Z visa (Note; Any other visa will now get you deported)
>>>>> 2 years of previous teaching experience
>>>>> 21-60 years of age
>>>>> A police certificate (For Beijing now - Shanghai soon)
>>>>> Fluency in English (Some employers will test you)
Be advised that there are no mandatory requirements to have a TEFL, TESOL, or CELTA teaching certificate, although if you have never taught before it would be a good idea. Just because you speak English, does not make you an English teacher. At present, 8% of all expat teachers in China have one of these certificates. 
If you decide to enroll in TEFL, TESOL, or CELTA course we urge you to find a program through a local university that provides a real classroom setting, and a real certificate that is internationally recognized and accepted. Online or software-based programs cannot provide you the proactive real-time dialogue nor realistic role play as does a classroom setting. As for what makes for a "genuine" certificate, you may want to read this here... 

Also be wary of unethical or pushy recruiters who tell you they can not find you a job unless you buy a TEFL program with their assistance. See:

Here They Are!

© Copyright 2010- 2018 by CFTU - Reproduction with Source Credits Authorized


  1. I just applied for a job. I was told I needed 5 years continuous work experience. They said it was a new government requirement.

  2. I have a question.
    Very often schools and recruiters will say that they can only hire people from certain countries as others "do not qualify for a visa"
    If this the case? Or can a teacher from any country who is a native English speaker apply?


You are welcome to add your comments, ideas, and suggestions below: Specific questions should be sent by email UNLESS you are on the Blacklist page. We do not accept requests to "please check ABC school" if you are not a current CFTU member. If your school is not on the White List, then check the blacklist.: